Smoked Salmon, Eggs, and Macadamia Nut
(Donabe smoker, "Ibushi Gin")
Ingredients: (2 servings)
12 oz (360 g) about 3/4"-inch (2 cm) thick salmon filet (skin on or off), cut into 4 pieces
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
some freshly ground black pepper
2 boiled eggs (soft runny yolk is preferred), peeled
a good handful raw macadamia nuts
2 lemon wedges
Ohter things you will need:
a piece of aluminum foil
a small handful (about 1/3 oz or 8 g) of smoke chips
- Season both sides of the salmon filets with salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes. Pat-dry.
- Line the bottom of "Ibushi Gin" with a piece of aluminum foil. Spread the smoke chips so that they make a ring shape. Make sure the foil is tightly attached to the bottom.
- Arrange the salmon pieces on the bottom and middle grates. Set the top grate and arrange the boiled eggs (pat-dry first) and macadamia nuts. Set "Ibushi Gin" over high heat.
- Once the chips start smoking (about 7-8 minutes), cover with lid and fill the rim with water. Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let "Ibushi Gin" stand for 20 minutes (with lid on).
- Serve with lemon wedges with tossed green salad (optional).
Happy donabe life.